Friday, August 6, 2010

Adventure Cycleworks

Well I arrived to Fairbanks in the pouring rain.  I was pretty worn out.  My tires had arrived which was good since I had just had a flat on the old set and after riding the roads on the way up here, they were done.  I also needed an oil change and the front brake pads seemed to be worn out as well.  I knew I was going to need a place to get this work done and my new tires installed.  My needs were met sooner then I had imagined.  Let's go a few days back to Dawson City, Yukon, Canada.  I was sitting at a coffee house, writing and uploading photos when another BMW GS pulled up with a couple from Australia.  They just shipped thier bike over for a holiday and were traveling the great roads up here.  We got to talking and I told them what I was going to have to get done to my bike.  They gave me the number to Adventure Cycleworks.

These guys were awesome.  I made the phone call in Tok, AK when I had finally had cell service again, and they told me to come by as soon as I arrived to Fairbanks.  I figured I'd have to leave the bike or wait on parts...
Nope.  I got the directions and rode over to Dan's house (where the shop is) and I pulled right up.  We unloaded the bike and rolled it right on the lift and got to work.  All parts I needed were there in stock and I got to hang out and talk with him about the area and bikes.  It was great.  These guys are awesome.  A father and son team that decided to cater to ADV riders and their bikes.  They have just one rule - they don't work on Harleys.  I was in and out in 2 hours, no waiting, all for a very reasonable fee and generally a great experience.

I had to remove my rear rain fender to make the fitment for the knobby tires easier.  They are letting me keep it there until I'm up to Deadhorse and back.  If anyone ever gets up to Fairbanks and needs work on their bike, these are the guys to go see.

The shop:
They have tires, oil, oil filters, brake pads... pretty much everything you need.

Front tire and new pads being installed.

New knobbly rear tire.  It's now a giant dirt bike.


Up on the lift and getting updated to finish this ride.  I'm really excited for this.

I get the weekend to rest, do laundry, and catch up.  My cousin Kevin arrives Monday and we leave for Deadhorse on Tuesday.  Fairbanks is a cool town and the people have been great so far.

9 comments:

  1. Hey Daniel, Glad to hear that you are in Fairbanks and that you are going to rest over
    the weekend -- You certainly deserve some down time. I hope you enjoy your stay there. Looking forward to tomorrow to hear about your adventures in Fairbanks. Take care and Love Ya
    Alwasys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniel, you're doing a great job bringing awareness to this monster called breast cancer. We're proud of you and hope the rest of your journey goes well.
    Sarah and Bill Waldrep

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey brother, I am in Yakima, WA on a fire right now. Looks like you are in good shape up in Fairbanks. Have a good time and get ready for the Haul Road! Give a call if it don't cost an arm and a leg.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi all. Kevin flies into Anchorage on sunday night. He picks up his bike on monday morning and travels on the Parks highway to Fairbanks to meet up with Daniel.

    I hope the G650 is not too tiny. The swedish riders had rented all the F650s. I guess they might be a bit taller, but still. So Kevin will make do. I am having him bring a bear bell to compensate. We are not sure what it is for, but it is really cute and will match his bike!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're glad to hear that you have the weekend to rest and explore Fairbanks. What a trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joy said...
    So glad to hear about the GREAT experience in Fairbanks!! Have a restful weekend and a great rest of the way to the top of the world!! Love you and your whole family!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cycle shop is spectacular! Great that you were in and out of there in a couple hours with all of the work done. Have a great weekend sightseeing! -Lori

    ReplyDelete
  8. We hope you are resting and enjoying some down time. LOVE all the pics and all the stories! Tell Erin and the girls that I said "hello"! Mama Regina sends her love. She will have black beans and rice ready for your return.

    Love, The Pals

    ReplyDelete