Monday, August 2, 2010

The Alaska Hwy...

Well the ride up from Grand Prairie to Dawson Creek, BC was easy, just a short hour up the road. That was the start of the grand Alaska Highway.  I was all nervous.  I filled up.  I went and found a bank to get Canadian dollars. Checked and rechecked all my gear, stopped at the visitor center. (Canada is great, they have an info center at every town. They can give you mileage, campgrounds, gas stops, maps, they seem to know it all.)

I got the famous picture of "Mile 0", then I set off, thinking... ok, this is going to be remote.  I'm alone and there will be no one around... Well, It was remote, I was alone, but there was a ton of traffic.  Not like standing-still traffic like in Memphis, but trucks heading north and south. Cars, RVs, travelers, and workers. It was no big thing. The road was in ok condition.  I ran into some construction with a few spots of dirt road, but mostly 70+ mph.  I was getting passed at that speed, by the way.  100k is 60mph.  Folks up here are running 90+mph.  Posted at 100k.  It's crazy.


My once in a life time shot:

What the road pretty much looks like:
Two lane.  No shoulder.  Some dirt turn offs.  No paint on the road to decipher "lanes".  I just stayed on my side and for the most part, the on-coming traffic stayed on their side.

I was getting low on fuel way north of Dawson Creek.  I stopped here at "Pink Mountain" (yes, BK this is your mountain).  
I fueled up and ate some snacks and kept on riding. This southern section of the highway is pretty straight and flat, not much riding excitement.  Tomorrow the road to Watson Lake is apparently better. More mountains and 6 hours from Fort Nelson.



So that's really it for today.  Not much really great scenery.  I rode a lot, made pretty much 2 stops on the way up.  I plan to camp 1 hour's ride to the NW.  I'm not done for the day, but the visitor center here in Fort Nelson was the only place to stop and write.  I think the Alaska Highway will get more scenic.  I will post up some of the "better" pictures when they happen.


Oh, I almost forgot. I saw this on the way up from Grand Prairie to Dawson Creek:
Yes, it is a giant Beaver. This might have been the most amusing thing all day.

10 comments:

  1. Lover! So glad you stopped at "my" mountain. I love it. Also glad to know that you haven't been sitting there in Pink Mtn for 5 hours and it's just the SPOT not updating. Hopefully it will update soon. Love you and miss you so much already and hope you get a really good night's rest tonight. And EAT SNACKS! ;) Keep on keepin' on, babe. Broccoli Dog says you're doing great. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS, I can't quit looking at the Lake Louise pic from yesterday... that thing is incredible! It is going on the "Staircase Photo Wall of Fame" immediately!!! You are taking some amazing pics. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. How big are the mosquitos up there? We rode horses today and donated blood to the insect population. Glad you're doing good. That's some beaver shot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brooke, isn't the Lake Louise shot spectacular? One of my favorites too. But I also love the clouds in the Pink Mtn image. Yes, DP is managing some great images with that GoPro and I am jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daniel, I'm so proud of you. This is a great
    testament of your love for Kris. I am following your journey everyday -- What an experience!!
    As always, please be safe. Love ya always!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah, not to leave DP out...Congratulations on Mile 0!!! What an accomplishment. Doing great. Thanks for reporting on the roads. I wasn't expecting such nice ones either, but glad they are being good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also, sorry didn't send comment before now. I just figured out how to do it. The last one I sent didn't go thru. (It's out there somewhere in cyberspace). Promise to send many more.
    Love Ya!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good going Daniel. Already at Alaska Highway, looks like a brilliant trip. Just remember to stop for five minutes every day and think about why you're doing this, what you're seeing and where you're going. Enjoy every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Daniel! This is awesome! Just stumbled across it today. You are doing a great thing for your sister. Kris and your family are in my thoughts. Glad to see you are doing so well.
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  10. hello everyone. Im getting there. Its a tough ride now. much of the Alcan is under construction. Well all the roads are some paved some dirt. Its crazy. Thank you all for the comments.

    BK!!! Find my tires please.. I will call you asap when I can. Love you.

    LCJ... long time no see. thanks for the comment. I here you are well. Please keep up wiht the journey. I though the Justice was replaced?

    ReplyDelete