Sunday, August 1, 2010

Holy Canada, Batman

I rolled into Banff last night expecting open camp sites and many options for my choosing.  HaHaHa, the joke was on me. Apparently it was a long weekend for Canada - some holiday.  It was packed, as in every "camp ground" in the whole park was booked up. ALL OF THEM!!  Can you say RV Canada?
So I camped in the overflow area. This is the place they send all the folks that thought they would just ride up there and find a great, amazing spot. It actually worked out well for me. I told the Canada Park Service folks what I was doing and they let me stay for free. I got up and out of the way with the bike and was pretty alone.  Great view of a giant granite(?) mountain.
It did hail on me....again. And it rained....again. But it's cool. I slept well, and researched today's route. It was a nice ride by the way.


Lake Louise:
This way a really nice place, but it was so crowded. Many folks around. I stayed for a brief picture and decided to move on. Glacier right into lake. With a resort hotel overlooking the whole deal. I wonder what a room there costs?


Another beautiful lake: 
 The water here is super blue. I guess from all the snow run off? Not really sure but it was so clear that it was a mirror to the mountains and trees around. Very nice and this stop only had one small family there and nobody else around.

Another glacier into lake shot. I haven't a clue the name, and the glacier is hard to see,  but it's really awesome nonetheless: 
The GoPro takes awesome pics.


This glacier was huge. It's the first place to see once in "Jasper, NP" coming from the south:
Once again, many RV's and many other travelers. It was great to see so many people enjoying this place and traveling. Very inspiring for me.


Big waterfall: 
This was a huge stop for everyone. It was a big waterfall into a tiny gorge, all white water and totally crazy. I cant imagine what it looks like in spring!


And finally, a photo of my very dirty, very strong, big GS:
It's been a great ride on this big machine. It really is a mess. Bugs on the front, mud, dirt, rain on the back, and road grit all around.  It looks like I've been somewhere and seen some things.  Maybe I have. I can't tell yet.  It will be easier to look back and remember these moments.

I hope that of all the awareness and money that we have raised along this journey will do some good.  I hope to have helped in some way with my endeavor.  Just know that between every great photo -  the ones that inspire you to get out and go see these places -  are many miles of land and scape, with wind and rain and hail.  If this is a trip you would do, I will give the advice to be and stay committed. Between the great inspiring photos are very hard windswept miles. I'm not complaining. Not at all. I'm committed to this trip and this cause for my sister and for all the folks that want and need to be inspired.

Thanks for supporting me along these miles.

8 comments:

  1. Well said Daniel! I have a whole new respect for your committment riding to the Arctic for Kris and breast ca. I'm so grateful to have been a part of your adventure and to support Kris in my own way. Hang in there brother! We love you and miss you always. This blog is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Daniel, also.... loved hearing about Jasper and Lake Louise. I was thinking back to the Badger Cafe breakfast and that nice couple who gave us the insider info on Canada.
    Matt says "Cowboy Up"!

    oh' we got poured on coming into Missoula:( you're not alone. Ride safe and LET'ER BUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey dude- keep up the hard and honorable work. I just caught up on your pics and such. Looks like an incredible journey. Stay strong- you are accomplishing a great thing. Your journey is inspiring to all :-)
    we are thinkn about you
    h and b

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Daniel! You are doing a great job showing everyone the good side. Glad the long side isn't kicking you too hard. Absolutely love the shot of Lake Louise. Are people noticing the stickers on your panniers? Are they stopping and talking with you? Keep up the hard work! -Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Amazing pix. Looks a little chilly up there! Don't stop posting on your way back!
    kitty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy Moly you are moving along!! (This is in reference to Monday's leaving Banff.) Hop, skip and jump to YT and Alaska, baby!!! How are the roads? :-) -Lori

    ReplyDelete
  7. Daniel,
    Canada is quite beautiful. We're thinking of you on your journey. Keep up the good work!
    Love you,
    Elly, Diana, Atticus, Izzy, all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hang in there, Daniel. It looks like from Fort Nelson you only have 1700 miles to Prudhoe. Easy for me to say 'only' sitting here at my computer, but know that you are riding for a purpose and we all wish we could be rolling along with you.

    ReplyDelete