Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Headed home!

Well I rode all day after leaving Tok. I rode the section of the Alcan that I missed when riding the Top of The World Highway. It was a rough section, with much of it gravel, but I rode and I rode and finally I reached Watson Lake at the 37 Junction.  I arrived about 10:00 PM, just as it was getting dark.  I fueled up the bike and found a spot to camp.  Did the usual  - unpack the bike, cook, eat, clean, sleep.  The next morning was the same, I woke up at 6:00 AM because I didn't want to miss the pilot car.  Apparently they were only shuttling folks through the fire twice a day.  I was the first in line after cutting off the 60 or so cars and RV's that had already formed a line for their turn to get through on the Cassair Highway.  This is normal, by the way - the cutting in line.  All motorbikes go first in construction in Canada because the dust is so bad.  I like this system.  About 8:00 or so, a few more bikes pulled up.  We all introduced ourselves and I'm not sure what the deal was, but we were all named Daniel.  Yep - 4 Daniels riding south.  All to different places and riding different bikes, but with the same name and in the same line.  The youngest Daniel was riding a Hyabusa (this is a seriously high horsepower bike!) and doing some serious spot touring.  He and I rode together for the day.  The other guys were taking their time, meaning they were slower than us.  We didn't get going till 11:30 or so and we didn't make it through till 12:30.  My day was shot for making any miles, so I decided to ride with  " Busa Daniel" to the city of Stewart.  This is where the bear walk up river and gorge themselves on salmon.  It was worth it... the ride was great and the side trip was only about 38 miles or so.

The road in and out of Stewart:
                                                   
Crazy glacier water falls in lakes and river all along the road:
.

Dan's Busa:
It has close to 200hp.  That's more horsepower than most people have in their cars!  It's brand new as well. Most folks don't ride these bikes for more than a few hours at a time, but Dan has been on the road for over a week.
When we left Stewart, Daniel and I rode all the way to Prince George - 480 miles.  It was windy and there were two more large fires burning en route.  It was a good day.  Daneil headed west to his home town in Canada and I am riding south on Canada 97.  I hope to be back in the USA tomorrow.
British Columbia is nice though, and I will miss it here.  Alaska as well.  It was all really cool.  Everyone should get up here just once.
Breaktime is over now... time to go ride a few more hours before the day is done.  480 miles and counting.

7 comments:

  1. A Busa on dirt and gravel? I hope the guy is that good. :) As usual, the pictures are wonderful. The fog over the water is mesmerizing. Is that Busa Daniel in the middle of the road? Have fun and get a rebreather to ride through those fires if necessary! LOL! Take care! -Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello BMW Daniel, Glad to finally hear from you. Sounds like the return trip is alittle less stressful but the scenery is still gorgeous. What memories you will have for the rest of your life. Continue on safely and get back to the good old U S of A. Love Ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend at work has a Hayabusa...I can't imagine him taking it on a trip like that. Enjoy the ride back to the ATL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only 50 miles to Sumas/Huntingdon (if that is where you are crossing). Almost back to the USA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daniel, It's 7:08 pm here. Looks like you're back in the U.S.! Welcome home, and give us a call when you have a chance. Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful photos! Four Daniels on motorcycles at the same remote place-what are the odds of that happening again?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi uncle!It is Julia and Jenna.You are back in the U.S.We miss you.We can't wait till you are back.We love you.
    Love,
    Julia and Jenna

    ReplyDelete