Sunday, August 22, 2010

Back in the Lower 48

Thursday, I rode right into the interstate rush hour just north of Seattle.  As soon as I could, I turned left, making my easterly heading toward Wenatchee, Washington.  My brother Matt's Forest Service base is in Wenatchee, and also where his helicopter is stationed.  I missed Matt by 2 days (as he was off work and back home in Idaho), but I was able to stay with his buddy Chuck, who pilots the machine when Matt is on his off days.  They switch shifts - 12 days on and 12 days off. 

Me out in front of the big Bell super 205:

I rode out of the traffic and into the forest, up and over Stephens Pass, then down into the "Apple Capital of the World" (according to the sign).  

Top of the pass:


I stayed the night there with my sights set on Superior, Montana for Friday morning.  Superior is a small town just west of Missoula, Montana, where I have a good buddy that's a smoke jumper. He and his wife (who is an ex-jumper herself) set me up to stay with them my second night back in the lower US. 

After a pretty uneventful ride from Washington, through Idaho, and into Montana, I arrived here:

This is my buddy's house.  He and his wife, in true Montana spirit, hand build this home.  It's a timber framed house, meaning that the frame of this house is made out of large timber without a single nail or screw holding the frame together.  All wood dowels and very complicated joints.  It's a very cool place.

The inside of their house:

I hope they don't mind. It's just very cool and impressive.  I spent some time up here years back, helping do a few things on this house and also working on one of their old Toyota LandCruisers. I knew then that this place would turn out awesome.
So my first days back have been great.  I'm now at my brother's house in Idaho and I'm going to take a rest day tomorrow.  Then the plan is to head for the south Monday morning.  BKs birthday is Friday and I'm hoping to make it home for that.  So far, so good...  A lot of the excitement has rubbed off for a lot of the folks out there.  For me, I'm just tired.  I still have to make it home and get back to work!!
I really hope that the awareness and money we have raised does some good.  When I found out about my sister, I knew right away that I wanted to do something special for her and try to make a difference somehow.  Not only in her life, but in the lives of all everyone with cancer.  There are people out there that are willing to fight for and with their love ones affected by cancer- the donations and support prove this tenfold.  I thank everyone that has done either for me and my family, as well as anyone who needs the support of a loved one.  The positive attitude and kind words that many of you have written on this blog are a testament of the spirit and desire to help one another.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Daniel, so glad you will be home soon. Maybe some of the excitement has calmed down some but I know I still look for your entries to your blog every day. I will miss reading them--I feel a special connection to you thru them. I hope you will continue them until you get home; letting us know when you have arrived.
    I know you are tired and your body wants off that bike but please continue to be safe. Those that love you are waiting to give you a big hug!
    Take care & love ya much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wondering if you are going to head south towards Denver or cut across Nebraska and see nothing but rows and rows of corn. If it wasn't for your great photos I would never know how beautiful it is out there. Hope Kris has had a great Monday without any Chemo and someday I get to meet her. Have a safe ride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, noticed you crossed over Nebraska today and are just outside of Lincoln. My family is just north of there in Omaha! Did you pick any corn? See a lot of cows? Hope you have had a great day Daniel!

    ReplyDelete