Monday, August 16, 2010

Back in Canada riding south.

Well I left Valdez and rode up to Tok, AK yesterday.  It's not that far of a ride, maybe less than 300 miles.  I don't remember exactly.  It was too late to "make" it any where in Canada yesterday, so I stayed in Tok for my last night in Alaska.  I went ahead and got a little room with its own shower, which was nice after the night in Valdez we barley found a spot to camp.  I woke up early and I'm now on the road again.  I stopped in Haines Junction, Yukon, Canada, and found a local bakery to take a break.  I'm 1.5 hours from Whitehorse and about 4.5 after that to Watson Lake.  I'm still unsure if I will be able to make it down the Cassier Highway due to the wildfire that was burning on my way up.  It is still burning and apparently it's still winning.  I figure those guys are chasing spot - continuous timber and no real fuel breaks, which makes it very hard to suppress.  I will find out in the morning whether I can get through.  I plan on riding just west of Watson Lake today.

So here are a few pics from the riding in and out of Valdez.  Kevin said it was the best riding we had done.  I'm still torn as to what was the best riding day I've had so far.

Petty much every mountain surrounding Valdez has a glacier on it.  It's pretty impressive.


Us leaving Fairbanks, noticing the mountains with snow covering them.  This is the first snow I had seen since I arrived in Alaska.  Up in the Arctic there was no snow and it was a bit warmer.  All of the southern mountains had snow.



Pretty sure they call this Bridal Veil falls.  It's in Keystone Canyon when you ride into Valdez.  This was a very narrow canyon with waterfalls and a substantial river flowing toward the coast.

And finally, my birthday drink.  It was actually the night before my b-day (Saturday), but we celebrated early since Kevin was to leave the next morning for his iceberg tour.   Lucky.


So I will keep riding and keep writing as well.  I'm sure we will have a "welcome back home" party.  Any excuse for a big party, right?
I hope that all the folks following this blog have passed it along.  I do believe we are still shy of $9,000 raised for Komen.  I'm unsure if we will reach the "BIG" goal, but every dollar raised for research and support for cancer patients is worth it.  I've given out all of my ATLtotheArctic postcards along the road, so it's up to all of us to make this happen and finish strong.

Thank you.

7 comments:

  1. You are cooking along! So was your ride out of Tok so much less eventful then your ride in? :) Are parts of that a distant memory right now? Pics and reports are great. Thanks for sharing and have some more fun!! -Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey D- Really enjoying the pictures of the beautiful scenery in Alaska. I know it must be
    breathtaking. Oh, about that "welcome back home" party-let me know when. I'd loved to take a third trip to Georgia this year. Hope it works out for you to take the Cassier Hwy. -especially if it gets you to Matt's quicker.
    Well, enjoy the ride--the trip up was probably a blur.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see you brother and hear more about your journey! Be sure to take lots of breaks and stretch- you are 30 years old now. he, he! Lovin' the pictures! Ride safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Brother. You gonna get a nice home cooked meal and a soft bed when you get to the house.

    I am home from the 18th thru the 28th. Are you going to make it before I go back to work? I have to pull one shift at Pocatello on the 26th. Give a call or email me.

    Ride safe, Matt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos of your journey! It sounds like the weather is giving you a break from the rain.
    Stay safe on the road,
    Marshall & Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday buddy! Of course there will have to be a big welcome home party. Been really enjoying the blog but can't wait to hear about it from the horses mouth. Rock on mang!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A welcome home party sounds great. I'll be there. My friend Tim and I were talking about this and have an idea for you. Tim will get in touch with Brooke.

    ReplyDelete