Sunday, August 15, 2010

08/15/1980 - My birthday

Thats right folks, I'm 30.  Might as well turn 30 in front of the world.  Kevin woke early this morning to catch his ferry right back to Anchorage from Valdez.  Me, I slept in.  I was tired.  I crawled out of the tent on my big 30th and was alone again.  Time to do some riding.  Right after I hang out in Valdez for the morning and check out the harbor, eat some breakfast, and relax a bit.  This is a very cool place.  The mountains surround this small town.  The Harbor and water are engulfed by the green mountains that jut straight up from the water.  It's a nice place.  I'm jealous of Kevin to get a boat ride and see the coast line of Alaska, but for me it would have been a 5 hour ferry ride and add another 310 miles to back track.  I was content to stay and relax then start my journey home from here.






So this is where I am and that's what I'm going to do.  I will head south soon.  I hope the Cassier Highway is open in Canada and that wildfire isn't still shutting the road down.

We will see...

8 comments:

  1. Happy 30th birthday, Daniel!!

    Marshall & Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Daniel! What a way to start the
    Big 3-0! Taking in some of the beautiful sights in Alaska. Hope your day is a tranquil one as you begin your return trip. Head for home--Those that love you are waiting. As always, be safe and Love Ya Much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Daniel!! 30th. is a super duper b'day! We can't wait to see you again. Ride safe, Love you always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daniel,
    Birthday greetings! I couldn’t let this day go by without sending you loving birthday wishes. I remember well the day you were born 30 years ago, and, from your first day in the world, you brought joy and excitement to our lives. As you celebrate your 30th birthday, you should know how much happiness you have brought to me and our whole family. I love you.
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday!! Not a bad way to start the new year. Only a couple of things would make it better! Have a great day and enjoy the sun! -Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy BD Daniel! What a way to celebrate your next decades arrival! IN AK and without a pressing itenerary. Breathe it in. Enjoy the cool while you can. The heat awaits you. See you soon. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Belated!! The comment above is right on-"In AK without a pressing itinerary. Breath it in." Take the time to enjoy. Both you and Kris have the strength to bring it home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well thank you everyone. I had a nice easy morning in Valdez. Oh how I wanted to take one of those boats out. Ive always been a sucker for big boats. Kevin said his ferry ride was awesome. He got to see full on Iceburges. Im glad he closed out his portion of the trip with a cool boat ride and easy days motorbike ride. I had fun up in the Arctic. Looking back the riding was a bit of a hand full but it was a great ride no matter what.

    ReplyDelete