Saturday, August 14, 2010

Please READ this entire post. Don't just skim and look at photos!!!!

I was doing a lot of thinking after Kevin headed south.  I was thinking about my sister. How when we are kids we always have one toy that we cherish.  Just the one, and because we only have just one of that certain toy, we cherish it the most.  When we grow older and understand whats important in life, those same emotions manifest themselves towards the people in our life.  For myself and my two brothers, those emotions are for our sister.  She is our only sister and we love her without a doubt and cherish our time with her like no other.


That thought kept me rolling all morning.  It's 240 miles from Coldfoot to Deadhorse.  I had plenty of time to think about my sister and what I was riding for.  To know that I was trying to do what I could for the cause in a way that would challenge me and inspire others to do the same.  We are all in a very unique situation to help others through this website.  I hope that everyone that reads this will donate and then pass this along to a new person in their life and spread the word.  I hope that my ride has been an entertaining and inspiring event.



As for the ride, it was hard.  The Dalton is a very special highway, no doubt.  The road surface is terrible, the truck traffic is dangerous, the weather was completely awful.  The first day up to the Arctic Circle was ok, cold, windy, and a bit of rain.  By the time we reached Coldfoot, it was very cold and raining steady.  It rained all night and all morning in to Wednesday.  Our first attempt was rough to say the least.  You all saw the photos.  By the time we reached the Chandalar Shelf, it was raining hard and even the locals were not liking the weather and road conditions.  I had many people say they didn't know how we were making it through such awful conditions.  When Kevin told me he was ready to turn back, I was torn.  I knew that was the smart thing to do.  60 miles in 3 hours is not normal.  We were risking too much.



Thursday morning I was starting out alone.  I raced north to cover that 60 miles I had already ridden the day before.  The road was in better condition, a little dryer.  I rode to the top of the Shelf in a bit of rain.  About 8 miles further is Atigun Pass.  The road was one lane only and under construction.  It was also very wet and muddy.  I rode to the top and worked my way down the north slope.  When I reached Happy Valley I knew I would make it.  The weather had improved and the road was dry.  The road surface however, was terrible.  Pot holes everywhere.  It was slow going through this section.  I rode a ways and the valley opened up to huge expanses of tundra.  No trees, no shrubs, nothing but hard - very hard  - cross wind.  The road narrows here and the truck traffic was increasing.  Every obstacle you read about was there.  Poor road surface, wind, trucks.  Also construction and a ton of mud associated with it.  It was a difficult ride.  Many obstacles and just plain hard riding.  I will say it was some of the hardest motorcycling I have done to date.
 I did make it through.  I rode hard, stayed the course, and made it to Deadhorse.  It smelled different up there, it was cold and windy and you can see storms coming from miles out.  I looked back on the day's riding and knew I would have to ride right back through it all to get to Fairbanks.  I was tired and alone.



My sister has cancer and every week she has to go to chemo.  Much like what I had just ridden, she faces her own obstacles and hardships not just once, but every week!!!  Ask me if I'd ride the Dalton once a week and I'd laugh in your face.  There is the difference.  I have a choice.  For Kris and many others there is no choice to the road they have to travel every week.  They have to do it.  The only thing that makes it easier for her and anyone is her situation is the support from others.  The ones that cherish her.  For the comments on this post I want you folks to let Kris know that we are here to support her during her own battle.  That's what I'm asking of you today.

This photo is for my sister.


After making it up, I snapped these few photos and rode right back to where I started, another 240 miles that very same day.  Partly to push myself.  But mainly I just wanted to be heading towards home.
480 miles on the Dalton in one day.  Remember it never gets dark, I just kept riding until I reached that camp area.

I camped my final night on the Dalton at a BLM camp area.  I rode in very late, cooked up some dinner, set my tent, and layed down without any regrets or worries of rain or mud.  For if the weather worsened again, it didn't matter, at least I was headed home.


I arrived to Fairbanks today.  My work was not done.  I still had to swap tires again and clean my bike.  So back to Adventure Cycleworks to see Dan.   He is now one of my favorite people.  The guy is just plain nice and very informative on all things cool.
Dan went the extra mile.  He sold me a new set of tires for a deal and installed them for free.  Since my original set were no good to reuse, it was a very outstanding thing to do.  I now have my knobby set sitting in my hotel room awaiting shipment back home.  Believe it or not, they are still good.  Just not any good for regular highway use. Just "special" highways like the Dalton.

He simply stated, "For the cause, man."   He and his wife were very generous to do this for me and I appreciate it very much.

From this muddy mess...


to this clean machine...

Thank you, Dan.

His info for any ADV riders heading north for some adventure and excitement.  Go see Dan and Shawn. It's a great place and wonderful service.

Adventure Cyleworks
Dan 907-457-4259



Remember what I said....

14 comments:

  1. Kris, Since the day you were born you have always been special to me- I finally had another girl in my family. I watched you grow into the beautiful woman you are today (both inside and out). But as I've watched you go thru this terrible ordeal, I realized even more that you are a remarkable young women. You have shown such courage and determination, all with utmost dignity. In the days ahead, as in the past, I will be there for you whenever you need me. We will be by your side (either physically or in spirit) til you get thru this.
    We love you, Kris!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kris, I know that we haven't met, but if the entire family is anything like Daniel, you are a strong, wonderful woman! I'm sure of that even if I didn't know Daniel, just from what your family says. I know two women that have been exactly where you are now. This portion of the road sucks, but it does get better. Be strong. Fight for what you love in life. Take the bad times so they will help sweeten the good ones. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. -Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kris,
    As I read Daniel's post I am struck by the parallels ...
    He faced adverse conditions, many, many obstacles ... Just like you.
    Daniel persevered and made it through the difficult parts, just like you.
    You face your challenge and the road ahead with such unbelievable grace, dignity, and strength. Let's not forget beauty, because you've got that smile that could grace magazines!

    I am missing you this morning.

    We had such an absolutely delightful time visiting 2 weeks ago. Nicholas and Katherine still rattle on about your 5 with pure delight. I only wish we were closer than the hundreds of miles between us.

    You are an amazing woman, filled with an unbelievable amount of courage and strength. I am with you in spirit until we can see each other again and share that bottle of vino.
    I admire you more than you could possibly know.
    I love you dear friend,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kris, there are so many things to tell you and so many compliments to shower upon you... Most of all, the time with your family has truly been a blessing in my life over the past year. The goodness and "realness" and the *pure LOVE* in your home can be felt the minute you set foot in your driveway. Even through this struggle you are currently facing, the dynamic of your little family is so strong and so secure, and I know it is because of your fierceness and courage and sheer determination. You are truly one of the most beautiful people I have ever met, and it has been an honor to be a part of both yours and Daniel's journeys. One of our main goals has been to focus on touching as many lives as possible, and we all know that we have done so. But I hope you know that at the same time, you have touched every one of OUR lives and continue to be an inspiration to us all. Can't wait to see you when "uncle" returns and know you are in my thoughts every single day. Love, Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris,

    Each of us who is following this blog, is supporting you whether you know & feel it. Each day when I acess to review Daniel's progress, you are forefront in my mind and hope that in someway, you knowing we are out there, gives you some comfort or some hootzpah to push through another day.

    Kris, if you need us, we are here.

    Daniel, thank for allowing us to share in this. We will all do our part!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kris:

    I love you very much! You have been in my thoughts and prayers every day and will continue to be.

    You are the strongest individual I know and I am in awe of you for your strong and positive attitude throughout this whole journey. I am so fortunate to have met Marcus and become part of such a beautiful family. From the moment I met all of you, I knew that I was in the right place. All of you are so supportive of each other. It warms my heart to see what Daniel has done in your honor and for all the other women that have been through or will have to go through a similar journey.

    I thank God everyday for being a Palazzolo! The girls and I are blessed to have you in our lives. I know that my girls have an amazing role model and they cherish having you as their aunt. As I cherish having you as my sister.

    I love you very much and I am here for you for anything...grocery shopping, babysitting, etc...

    We would like to have a party for you and Daniel when he returns to Georgia...let me know what works...

    Love you very much!
    Jackie

    PS Daniel...you are the MAN! Love you brother!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Daniel, thank you for writing this.

    I have never met your sister, Kris. Frankly, I don't even know you that well. But I think we share some common interests and I dig your sense of adventure, so it's not all that difficult to consider you a friend. Ever since hearing about the ride and understanding the reason for it, I wanted to post a message for your sister. I wanted to tell her that even people she has never met are wishing her the best, that she continues to have the strength to fight, and that her and her family are strong and healthy and whole.
    Up until now, I felt that commenting on her battle, a deeply personal struggle, would have been somehow inappropriate for me. Thanks for opening the door. Kris, I hope to meet you and your family one of these days. For now, I know you will seriously kick this cancer's ass.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Daniel,
    It is so humbling to read your beautiful comments. You have accomplished an amazing goal. You made it from Atlanta to the Arctic Ocean on a motorcycle; you inspired, advocated, learned, and opened your heart on the way. Fortitude, Inspirational, well Daniel - that is you! Thank you isn't really enough to let you know how much your compassion has meant to me and my spirits. I want you to know how much I cherish you and your selfless, unconditional support and love. YOU are my hero, as are all my brothers. Sibling bonds are strong. As our brother, Matt said, “This family has always been tough and we WILL rally and take care of our own.” Well, enough said. My brothers have and continue to carry me through this. Matt – thanks for riding with Daniel to the Canadian border. I am so happy you were able to share our journeys. You have always been the rock of the family; you are strong, smart, and always supportive. And Marcus, you still continue to call, come by and are always there to help me with my brood. It is very comforting to have you so close by. I know this to be true – I am a blessed woman, I am not alone, and the gift of my brothers’ time….priceless.
    Go, Beastie, go. I am awaiting your return home.
    Love always,
    Your sis

    ReplyDelete
  9. I talked to Kris today and it sounds like things are looking up. Chemo is on the way out, a nice break before radiation. Her spirtis were up and of all things, she told me about some of the other women with cancer who are in really bad shape and don't have the support of family and friends like she does.

    That pretty much sums up my sister. As rough as things are for her she is worried about the women that have it worse. Hopefully Daniels hard work will go toward helping those people who are less fortunate and are truly alone and scared and sick.

    It really is good to be a Palazzolo!

    For Daniel: Good job brother, get home safe and sound. Can't wait to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kris, I'm so thankful that God pushed you and Josh together! As an only girl with 3 brothers also, I know how that bond can be so close. I'm blessed to have you in my life. I'm thankful that you are my brother's wife, his love. I'm grateful that you've blessed me with 5 precious nephews and niece to love. And I'm so grateful, thankful and blessed to call you friend. You are a beautiful person inside and out, a courageous fighter, full of grace. I pray for you daily that God will heal you. I'm so proud of little Daniel(not so little anymore) for bringing awareness to your fight and helping to raise money for the cure! He's doing what a lot of us who love you haven't been able to do - walk the walk. Daniel, keep on keepin on, and Kris, stay strong my sweet friend. I love you! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kris,

    Family is a strong tie. Even extended family. Know that we are all pulling for you and wishing you well. Daniel is like a little brother to me and it has been an honor to accompany him for part of his journey in support of you.

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  12. HAPPY BIRTHDAY UNCLE DANIEL!!!!!!!! WE LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU LOTS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kevin,
    You are so right, extended family is everything! Please know that I truly appreciate you giving your precious time to share with Daniel and me. Thank you to you and Jenny, you guys are terrific. Hope to see you soon for a celebration party!
    love,
    your cousin

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kris, I feel so blessed to be a part of your life. I've always admired you~ your zest for life, your boundless devotion to your family and of 'course your staggering beauty! I love you! I love our family!

    You're a Palazzolo! What stronger trait could one possibly ask for? You're amazing. I love you with all my heart.


    LET'ER BUCK DANIEL!

    ReplyDelete