Wednesday, August 4, 2010

It's been rough...

Well I left my camp that was about an hour NW of Fort Nelson early Tuesday morning.  I was thinking I would make Lake Watson. I did that, and I stopped at the "sign forest", then decided there was still plenty of light in the day.  So I made it to Whitehorse and beyond before stopping at a camp site on a lake.  I met Jeff that day, a cool guy riding an ADV bike up from Portland.  He and I rode together for much of the day.  We set out this morning early and we are now in Dawson City, ready to get on the ferry boat and cross the Yukon River to the "Top of the World" highway and ride into Alaska.  I'm very excited for this ride and to be in Alaska today.  Fairbanks tomorrow.

My off road tires still have not arrived in Fairbanks. This worries me.  I need them and I need time to get them installed.  If they don't arrive this day or tomorrow, I will have to buy another set and see what to do with the lost set that has not arrived.  I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

Other unfortunate events are as follows:
1--One of my buttons broke on my riding jacket.
2--The top rack on my right side case has broken.  It's where I have been strapping my sleeping bag.
They (Happy Trails) used aluminum rivets to attach it the the lid and the rivets just have not held up.
3--The SPOT has stopped working. This just makes me angry.  Many folks like the tracking page.  The unit itself will not pick up any satellites.  So I'm less than pleases with this device. The second one I have used.  The first unit was recalled.
4--Some folks have been less than patient up here at the gas pump.  Today I was filling up at a remote (they are all remote) gas pump.  A couple pulled up in a giant RV right to the rear of my bike like they would just run it over. So I rushed out to move it.  I tried to get it off the center stand and the damn bike fell over!! Messed up a few things on the bike, my stickers for one.  The panniers, crash bars (it's what they are for) hand guards, yada yada.  I'm over it but at the time I was upset.  I had just filled it up and gas spilt everywhere.  Oh well, things happen.

So time for the pictures I suppose.  I hope they are good.

What the bridges here look like. Hard to ride on and narrow.


Camp outside Fort Nelson.  It was quiet and right on a river.


Fuel the next morning.  This is it.  One gas pump, one diesel pump.


The ceiling at the next gas station and breakfast stop on the Alaska Hwy.  It was a cool place and super busy.


"Sign Forest" in Watson Lake.  I'm not sure whats going on here but there are a lot of signs.  Otherwise I kept driving, more impatient people at the gas pumps here.


I added a sign.  It's our mark.


I passed this road.  It's the road to Inuvik Canada, the Dempster Highway.  The road to the Arctic here in Canada.  This is funny.  If you talk with Canadians, this road is nice and "easy" -  it is all dirt.  They say the Dalton Highway (the road to the Arctic in Alaska) is the harder road.  If you talk with Americans, this is the harder road and the Dalton is "just fine".   I'm not sure but I think they are both a handful on a bike. And the Dalton will be too much if I DON'T HAVE MY OFF ROAD TIRES!!!

So that's my story to date.  I'm a mess.  The trip is going.  It's going whether I can keep up or not.  But I'm OK, having a great time and letting all the ups and downs take me with them.

I have to go to Alaska now...... 

17 comments:

  1. Daniel, It's Mom. I just heard from Erin in Fairbanks, and she received the tires today!!! One less thing to worry about. . . I'll call SPOT again tomorrow to get more info and see if we can get it working again. Meantime, take care, stay cool, and keep riding. We are all behind you in spirit and positive encouraging thoughts. Call me when you get to Alaska.
    Love from all of us in Georgia, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude! It sounds like you are a bit road weary, but hang in there. I know from experience how the gas pump impatience thing can be (not the bike part, just the inconsiderate action). But I'm willing to bet that more often than not, folks watching you fill up that bike WISH they could be the one with the bike. I've been in that place too. Sitting at a construction stop on the Dalton, chatting up a Scottish couple on bikes and dreaming of the time I could do what they are doing . Sorry for the rambling, not really sure of the point I was trying to make...keep on truckin' Daniel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear brother,
    Hang in there! You are having some bumps in this road. Take this weekend to rest and relax. I promise things will look better after you get some sleep. I have had a few rough spots since my treatment started, even strong people have limits. Just try to laugh and keep positive. I am happy to hear you have some company, We are thinking of you all the time. YOu are doing great,We love you Beastie!!!
    your sis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daniel, ignore the RV's. You have just as much right to be there as they do. Don't be a jerk, but make conversation and they should calm down. Be your charming self and flash that smile and disarm them. You actually have a little more right to be there since you are smaller, more maneuverable, faster and working 200% harder to be at the same place. They are sitting back in palatial luxury and missing it all. And you know you will be getting annoyed with them in the future when they are slowing the entire highway down. But I hear that bikes are moved to the front of the line in stop/go construction zones. :-)

    And you need the battle scars for the war stories to tell people. :)

    Jess, email me! loveofamotorbike at gmail dot com. I've also mailed BK. Was wondering if it would help to lend DP my SPOT. We can send it out tomorrow early and it can get to Fairbanks on Friday.

    -Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there, Daniel! What you're doing is so awesome!!! You knew there would be challenges, and that's why you prepared so thoroughly. If it was easy, everyone would ride a motorcycle from ATL to the Arctic. :) Glad you haven't needed the bear spray yet! ;)

    You have more people following you and pulling for you on this trip than you even know! Keep fighting the fight!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, I'm just going to throw it out there, but could DP be surrounded by any more awesome women?!?! Kris, you are an inspiration to us all... there are truly just NO WORDS. You are fighting this fight with such passion, strength, and grace -- all at the same time. Literally.... NO WORDS. Jess, your strength hasn't stopped amazing me yet... You have no idea how much I admire and respect you as a mother and grandmother to this amazing family and also and a friend to me! Lori, your kindess and thoughtfulness have just about blown me away... and Katherine, even though we only had a few minutes to chat, your encouragement is contagious!!! DP, we are all pulling for you in ways you couldn't imagine. Stay the course, lover.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katherine, well said. Everything I wish I could have thought to say.

    Brooke, so sweet. We are all tough women. And if need be we will march up there and either beat up those people at the gas pump... hehe Or carry that bike across the Circle!! :)

    Breath Daniel! Relax, watch the clouds and swat gnats and mosquitos, think of the good things and breath!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Daniel so sorry you've had some difficult times, but remember each one is leading you to your goal.
    You are one of the strongest people I know. From the day you were born until now you've always shown such courage and determination. You have become obsticles in the past and you will continue to do so. I know you are anxious to get to the Artic Circle, but please take your time, and take some extra time to re-energized. Stay strong and keep focused.
    Love you always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey brother, always remember, bear spray works great on people as well as bears. Just as long as you can out run both when they get their stuff together.

    From the great Joe Dirt: "you can't have no in your heart!"

    Keep on keepin' on bro, just don't wreck or hurt yourself.

    Me and Alicia feel your pain, you are in the thick of it now, just drive on to Fairbands and throw a good drunk, eh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fairbands eh? Sounds like you're already there:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Many people don't know that Fairbanks was originally Fairbands in Eskimo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Daniel, My computer wasn't working so Rita typed
    my last comment over the phone. Sorry for some of the misprints. You have not become an obstacle; you have overcome ostacles and you will continue to do so. Also, please re-energize yourself. Anyway, hope you get what I was saying. Take care and Be Safe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well said Nanny!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovin the pix man, feeling the road beating on you. The miles pounding thru your bones, the burn on your thighs when you dismount for gas, the wiggles in the soft stuff that wakes you up a bit as your butt sucks seat foam. Those are the memories. Thats what you will take home with you. Thats what you will reminice when you are 9x years old telling stories with the attention of the youth of your future. LIVIN THE DREAM! Keep rolling man, you are doing great. Press on regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hang in there D. Mini-me will be there soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We met you on Highway 21 coming down from Stanley, Idaho. Sorry to hear about the problems that you've been having! What you are doing is a great thing-your sister is blessed to have a brother like you. We hope that everything smooths out today....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Even though we can't track you on your SPOT we your pictures are amazing which helps us track you in some way. Evidently those folks at the gas pump couldn't read or pulled up too close to see what you are doing. I would have bought you that tank of gas. You do need to release some of that "wine" out of the bottle to feel better . We are here with ya and listening. You are so amazing.

    ReplyDelete