Saturday, August 28, 2010

Start to Finish.

Well, I made it home.  I made it from Atlanta to the Arctic, back to Atlanta.  We raised money and awareness all along my route, starting in Atlanta and ending in Atlanta.  Covering new ground each day and taking a different route home than the one I took there.

From this - a completely clean and stripped bike:

To this:
 
A dirty, scratched, and road-weary bike that proved itself and never once faltered or stumbled along the way.  Not a single problem from this machine.  Through the heat, the rain, and the cold, up mountains, through mud and dirt, and back to highways, it never even balked at these changes.

From this muddy pass in the Brooks range of Alaska:

 To the big GA welcome center:
This was a welcome sign for me, even as a GA native.  I'm glad to be home and get back to helping Kris on the home front.  I rode straight to her house when I arrived home to GA.  She is currently in between chemo and starting radiation.  Her radiation treatment is everyday for 7 weeks (!!), AND she has opted to take the experimental chemo during her radiation treatments.  If that's not tough, then I don't know what is.  She is truly a tough cookie.


I rode the whole way.  There was something simple about it. I knew every day what I had to do.  I was riding for a cause and I had a purpose.  I achieved and overcame.  It was a great experience and I would not have changed a thing, except the reason for the ride.  My sister should not have to be dealing with her disease - no one should ever have to combat cancer.  I'm sure that the money raised for Komen will go to the right grants to help others, as well as research to try and find a cure for this disease.

I hope to have a welcome home party to thank everyone that was so supportive of this ride.  Once I have the details, I will post them up.  Thank you all and please keep checking back, as I will keep the site going as much as everyone would like.

8 comments:

  1. Maddy and Jon HadleyAugust 28, 2010 at 8:22 AM

    We have not met but we have followed your journey from start to finish after seeing the story in the paper and thoroughly enjoyed your blog. What a selfless and courageous journey that you took in honor of your sister. Susan B. Komen is a worthy charity that we have supported for years. We too hope the research will continue and a cure will be found. Congratulations on your accomplishment. By the way, what is the name of your garage so we can drum up some business for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. WELCOME HOME, DANIEL!!! Even though I'm not in Atlanta, I am among those that missed you. Thank you for taking this journey to help Kris and the countless other people who face this dreadful disease every day. Also, thank you for sharing your adventure through this blog as I checked it every day and will continue to do so. I really enjoyed it. Once again, welcome home my friend, welcome home!! Love, Nanny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maddy and Jon, Thank you for following along!! Its been a huge undertaking and I really think we have done some good.
    As for the shop, the under contruction website is www.decaturgarage.com This has our contact info as well as directions to the shop. BK is going to finish this site when we get more time Please stop by any time and say Hi. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daniel, I think the Adv Rider group at Zuffys wants to do something. Please get with Kurt and advise him of your schedule! We would love to hear all about it and have a slide show.

    Your ride was awe inspiring. I never realized actually HOW FAR it is! I hear in my group of Long Distance riders that the one way record from Purdoe Bay to Key West Fla is about 100 hours. I dont see how it is possible. But we are a bit nuts anyhow. You have done a great thing for a great reason.

    Whats next? I would like to be in on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY!! Welcome Home and Congratulations! You've done and great job and accomplished so much...and I'm not just talking about the riding. You have brought attention and raised money and had a voice and made your presence known. Good luck to Kris going through radiation and the experimental chemo. Rest up and take it easy! -Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome home mang! You did an awesome thing! Can't wait to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Daniel! What an amazing accomplishment! I admire your determination and dedication to Kris, and to raising awareness for the Komen Foundation and the battles fought every day. God Bless! erin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good job Daniel. Your sister must be proud.

    See you back at Zuffy's bike night soon.

    ReplyDelete