Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Riding the interstate

So Monday - Idaho, Wyoming.... and that's it.  In the west you can ride all day and still be in the same state.  I rode all day and into the night a bit, and ended up in eastern Wyoming.  Camped and set my sight for eastern Nebraska yesterday (Tuesday).  I did that and a bit more.  From Cheyenne, WY,  if you ride 582 miles, you get to St. Joseph, Missouri.  Along the way I got many questions as to the bike, where I was going, and where I was coming from, but mainly folks asked where I was headed.  It was strange to say home.  All summer the answer has been, "I'm riding to the Arctic Circle in Alaska, to raise money for the Komen Foundation, it's a breast cancer charity..." The women I talk to tell me stories instantly about others they know who are survivors or talk of themselves and their personal stories without skipping a beat.  I mean, I'm a complete stranger.  But I guess since I seem sincere they open up right away and tell me how they made it through similar circumstances.

The men I meet say, "Oh really.  That's a long way," and then ask about the bike.  Fuel mileage, comfort, why in the name of all things holy am I carrying a second set of tires that are dedicated dirt tires.  Then I have to explain about Alaska and Canada and how the roads are not as wonderfully paved as they are down in the lower 48. I tell them of the Dalton Hwy and how I'm on my third set of tires.

Some folks, guys and girls, have even asked, "Isn't it frozen?"  The first time I got that question, I had to take a second and compose my answer as to not sound like a jerk.  I wanted to make them feel okay for asking me this question.  There is a major misconception as to the Arctic, and since the Discovery Channel tv show "Ice Road Truckers", people think the Haul Road is in a perpetual state of frozen chaos with crazy truck driver drag racing up to Prudhoe Bay to get that oil!!  It's kinda funny.  But everyone that I've met has been very, very nice.  The whole trip I have found that the most curious people have the best stories.

Anyhow, I've rambled enough and I'm headed east and south at a rate of 70 to 80 miles an hour, depending.
See you guys soon.

8 comments:

  1. Any plans for a group to ride/drive with you
    from Alabama back into Atlanta ? ETA Friday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are riding back home from the ARCTIC! That is really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. South bound and down. Good luck! You might be in Georgia by tomorrow!
    Love,
    The Pals

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes i have been riding home from The Arctic. I rode there so i might as well ride back. No shipping for me. I did take a different route homw though. I should hit Chattanooga TN tomorrow. I figured Id ride from there, down to Atlanta right to my Shop. Decatur Garage in Decatur. If anyone is interested in meeting up in North GA and riding in please e-mail me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. TAKE IT ON HOME, DANIEL!!!! Just think-- you are a year older and more wiser than before you left. Your journey has taught you so much about our country and most importantly, yourself. You have shown such diligence and determination thru some difficult situations. You should be proud of yourself because so many others definitely are.
    Hope to see you soon. Love, Nanny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yahoo! You can see the light at the end of the tunnel, just like me.
    Please know we are all awaiting your return, can't wait to see you in person,
    Now, slow down, and take it on home. Try to stop and see us if you have time.
    Love you,
    sis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woohoo, Daniel!!! Almost back! Way to go, and finish it out strong!

    Congrats, Kris, on getting through that chemo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WooHoo!!! So happy that you have succeeded in your trip, and Kris with her chemo. Wish I could have gotten a group together and met up to ride you back into town. Alas... But you both are in our thoughts and can't wait to hear of the adventure in person! Be safe those last 100 miles! :) -Lori

    ReplyDelete