Sunday, May 16, 2010

Monday, Monday...

So lots of excitement over the past week... a plug on Creative Loafing's website (check it out here), and an interview with a local TV station. However... you'll have to stay tuned to get more details on that!

This press has added an increased ability to spread awareness for my breast cancer charity in conjunction with the Susan G. Komen foundation. This whole project has been a hugely positive force for my sister during her fight. She has very much enjoyed the short comments that friends and family have been able to leave for us, and the site is becoming a great communication tool. Please know how much your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Over the past week, I've been really contemplating the return trip. The focus has been on getting to Alaska and the Arctic Circle, yet as I got to thinking, I've decided that if I'm going to be that far North, I might as well take it all the way to Prudhoe Bay - the end of the Dalton Highway. I'm realizing that at that point, the trip will only be half way over. I will have to turn around and ride home to Georgia, and that is going to likely be the hardest part of the trip physically.

There are so many questions bouncing around in my head... Will I reach my goal of $5,000 in donations for Komen? Will I successfully spread awareness for all those who have gone through such an ordeal as breast cancer? Will I make it there and back? Just a few of the things to consider as we continue to get ready for this journey.

Monday marks the last of the first treatments in a round of very harsh chemo my sister has to go through. She gets a few weeks "off", then it's back at the fight to restore herself to a cancer-free life. I'm headed to her house Tuesday and Wednesday to help out and hopefully make her laugh as much as possible.

We all need help sometimes. It never hurts to ask for it, and it never hurts to offer it up...

Photo courtesy of Brady Stribling

4 comments:

  1. Daniel, I am so proud of you. I have added your blog to my favorites, and so now you are number (2) next to my grand daughter, Georgia, who gets number (1)!!! You go!!! We all love you even more for what you are doing for your sister Kris. Give her lots of hugs and kisses from Joey. And I am hugging you and all of you during this very difficult time. Joey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joey long time no see... Thank you so much for your support. I know Kris loves to hear from all our friends. Thank you again and please stay up to date on our progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you decided to take the road all of the way to Prudhoe Bay Daniel. Heck, you made it that far right? Why not finish it out!
    My thoughts and best wishes are with Kris and with you on your journey. I'm greatly looking forward to meeting you all one day.
    Sincerely,
    Chuck
    (chopper buddy of Matt's)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah If im going to ride all the way up to AK, I might as well ride to the top and see the Arctic Ocean myself. I wish Matt could go with but he has to go fly and I understand that.

    Thank you for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete