Monday, June 7, 2010

Another Monday

Updates, updates... Kris is in the second week of her second round of chemo, which hasn't been as harsh as the first go round.  This seems to be the "standard", I guess, from talking to friends that know someone who has been through the process (...and everyone I know seems to know someone).  Not that any of this is standard, but the first round seems to be the hardest and now this cycle, while once a week instead of every other week, is a bit easier to deal with.  I can't even imagine what it would be like.  Add to the chemo that all five kids are out of school now for the summer, and it'll make you tired just thinking about it. But my sister is strong.  She has to be, she grew up with three brothers - three tough brothers, with our oldest brother being the toughest.  And he was the one she looked up to.  She's always done a great job of holding her own.

As for my preparations for Alaska... they continue.  I do believe that all the final parts have been ordered and the "building" of the bike is almost complete. I will post pics soon of the final outcome and what each little part does to enhance my self-sustained, solo ride on a motor bike from Atlanta to Alaska and back.  As far as all of my other gear, such as spare parts, tools, food, camping equipment, cookware, two sets of riding gear (one for the rain , one for the heat), street clothes, a GPS,  the "SPOT"... all of it is necessary and required for this to be a successful and safe trip.

Some cool news is that Paulius at Blue Moon Cycle is organizing a ride for me on my leave date. We are trying to get a group to meet and ride together to the state line to give me a proper send off.  I'm looking forward to this for two reasons - one, with a big group, the likelihood of me being injured leaving Atlanta is decreased.  Unfortunately, riding a motorcycle in Atlanta is always a struggle due to extreme traffic, congestion, and crazy drivers.  Also, a group ride changes my first day's route from boring highway to fun back roads until I hit Alabama.  THEN it's boring highway, and haul butt across the country to try and reach the west.  Obviously, you can see the difference and of course can agree the benefits of having a group to see me off.

Once again, I want to thank all of my supporters, family, and friends for donating, giving advice, and staying positive.  Not only for my sister, but also for all of the other loved ones who have had to deal with the same weekly treatments to regain their "normal" everyday good times.

We will all fight for our lives at some point... but the fight is much easier when you're not alone.

3 comments:

  1. “Toughness is in the soul and spirit, not in muscles.” - Alex Karras

    I have no earthly idea who Alex Karras is, but apparently he is a former football player, professional wrestler, and actor, best known for playing with the Detroit Lions from 1958–1962 and 1964-1970. In addition, he starred on the ABC sitcom Webster. Good to know.

    Regardless, I think he gets it.

    Stay the course, lover. So proud of you and Kris both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking about toughness lately. I told the kids on the fire crew that around 30 years old is the toughest you will ever be, I mean physically you are mature and mentally you are mature. I was physically really tough at 24, but the years have a way of putting the edge on your mental toughness that you don't have when you are young.

    All this phsyco-babble came about as I was starting my summer work-out program and at 44 years old realized that I am getting older. I am not as fast or as strong, nor do I have as much endurance as I once did. Things tend to hurt more than they did ten years ago, but I think I am still mentally tough.

    I think that this is where Kris is right now, she is only a couple of years younger than me and I can only imagine what kind of mental toughness it takes to hook up to the chemo wagon and know it is gonna kick your ass every time. And she does it, and endures the pain and suffering to survive for her family and her self and see another day.

    I love and admire her for the fortitude it takes to walk that road. Even with all the support in the world that has to be a very lonely trail.

    I also love and admire Daniel for the task he has chosen. It will be hard and lonely, and I hope will express the solidarity we all have with Kris, and let her know she is not alone.

    This family has always been tough and we will rally up and take care of our own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just saw your bike kitted out on n decatur, looks like you're good to go, just remember that on any long solo trip your best friend and biggest enemy is your mind :) tend to your spirits above all else and your trip will be a success!

    Best of luck,
    Random long distance hiker

    ReplyDelete